President Proposes Elimination of Federal Funding for Public TV
In his budget presented to Congress, President Trump proposed elimination of federal funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which provides funding to public television and radio stations nationwide. For Idaho Public Television, this would mean a loss of $1.5 million or 19 percent of our annual budget. Along with donor contributions, that funding helps pay for our local productions like Outdoor Idaho, Dialogue, Idaho Reports and Science Trek. It also helps pay for national productions such as NOVA, American Experience, PBS NewsHour, and children’s programming like Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood and The Cat in the Hat.
In addition, CPB funding helps make it possible for us to provide services across Idaho, including the broadcast of emergency information, even in some of Idaho’s most remote places. It pays for educational outreach events and activities for teachers, parents, day care providers and students — including an online tool that offers more than 120,000 resources for schools, searchable by subject matter, grade level and educational standard.
In short, loss of federal funding would have a devastating impact on Idaho Public Television as you know it. While the president’s budget is the first step in a long process that Congress will undertake, I thought you would want to know what it means for Idaho Public Television. To learn more check out the resources below.
Public Television in the News
- Stanley McChrystal: Save PBS. It Makes Us Safer.
- CPB president visits Congress to defend threatened funding request
- Trump budget clouds Public Broadcasting Act's 50th year
- Trump budget seeks to zero out CPB funding by 2018
- More charter schools, less Big Bird? What the Trump budget proposal means for Idaho
- Trump's budget will probably slash public media, but the biggest losers won't be PBS and NPR
- The end of Big Bird? He's survived the budget ax many times before.
- Public Radio and Television Stations Face New Threat of Budget Cuts
- Idaho PTV fears federal funding cuts
- Popular Domestic Programs Face Ax Under First Trump Budget
- "Hill" report says Trump team adopting proposal to cut federal funds for CPB, NEA and NEH