PRESS RELEASE — Friday, December 7, 2012
For information contact: Bob Evancho at 373-7369
Anne Peterson at 373-7368
Producer of ‘Miss Representation’ on Dec. 14 DIALOGUE
— Airs December 14 (Friday) at 8:00 p.m. MT/PT
— Repeats December 16 (Sunday) at 10:30/9:30 a.m. MT/PT
On this week’s edition of DIALOGUE, host Marcia Franklin talks with producer Jennifer Siebel Newsom about her documentary Miss Representation, which examines the often-degrading ways in which the media depict girls and women.
The show airs Friday, December 14, at 8:00 p.m. and repeats Sunday, December 16, at 10:30/9:30 a.m.
Using clips from political commentators, movies, commercials, the Internet and gaming sites, Siebel Newsom illustrates how women are being objectified by the media. She also discusses the potential link between that phenomenon and the lack of women in higher office. For instance, currently women only comprise 18 percent of the U.S. Congress. Also, according to Siebel, only 3 percent of top positions in the communication, entertainment and publishing industries are held by women.
She and Franklin also discuss the social action campaign that has grown out of the film to help combat the negative images of girls and women.
View or listen to DIALOGUE episodes in a variety of formats:
- Over-the-air high-definition broadcast on the Idaho channel airs Fridays at 8:00 p.m. MT/PT, with repeats Sundays at 10:30/9:30 a.m. MT/PT. To find local channel information for over-the-air broadcast, cable or satellite go to: idahoptv.org/about/wheretofind.cfm.
- Standard-definition over-the-air broadcasts air on Plus and World channels throughout the week, days and evenings, times vary. Plus is available through some cable companies; consult local suppliers.
- Video streaming is available through IdahoPTV’s video player that also features national PBS shows (video.idahoptv.org). The DIALOGUE web page (idahoptv.org/dialogue) also offers a library of videos through a flash player.
- PBS app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch is available free from iTunes; choose "Programs" and scroll to DIALOGUE.
- PBS app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch is available free from iTunes; choose “Programs” (the symbol resembles a deck of cards) and scroll to DIALOGUE.
- Video download from http://video.idahoptv.org; ultra-high bandwidth required.
- Podcasts (MP3, audio-only; and MP4, audio-video for Macintosh and iTunes users) are available for download from idahoptv.org/dialogue.
- NPR News 91 audio-only airs in Southwest Idaho. Sundays, at 11:30 a.m. MT.