PRESS RELEASE — Friday, September 20, 2013
For information contact: Bob Evancho at 373-7369
Anne Peterson at 373-7368
Former Congolese Refugee Mapendo on Sept. 27 DIALOGUE
— Airs Friday, September 27, at 7:30 p.m. MT/PT
— Repeats Sunday, September 29, at 5:00/4:00 p.m. MT/PT
On this week’s DIALOGUE host Marcia Franklin talks with former Congolese refugee Rose Mapendo about her life and her work advocating on behalf of refugees. During the genocide in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in the late 1990s, Mapendo’s husband was executed and she and her family were imprisoned in a death camp. There, under dire circumstances, she gave birth to twins and tried to keep the rest of her children alive, enduring horrific abuse.
Today Mapendo lives in Phoenix and works as an advocate for refugees. In 2009 the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Refugees named her the U.S. Humanitarian of the Year for her work. Franklin talks with Mapendo, now a U.S. citizen, about her journey of forgiveness and reconciliation, life in America, her return to the DRC to help women in her former country, and her reunification with her daughter Nangabire, from whom she was separated for more than a decade. A film about Mapendo, Pushing the Elephant, aired on Independent Lens/PBS.
View or listen to DIALOGUE episodes in a variety of formats:
- Over-the-air high-definition broadcast on the Idaho channel airs Fridays at 7:30 p.m. MT/PT, with repeats Sundays at 5:00/4:00 p.m. MT/PT. To find local channel information for over-the-air broadcast, cable or satellite go to: idahoptv.org/about/wheretofind.cfm.
- Standard-definition over-the-air broadcasts air on Plus and World channels throughout the week, days and evenings, times vary. Plus is available through some cable companies; consult local suppliers.
- Video streaming is available through IdahoPTV’s video player that also features national PBS shows (video.idahoptv.org). The DIALOGUE web page (idahoptv.org/dialogue) also offers a library of videos through a player that is compatible with most computers and mobile devices, including iOS devices.
- PBS app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch is available free from iTunes; choose “Programs” (the symbol resembles a deck of cards) and scroll to DIALOGUE.
- Podcasts (MP3, audio-only; and MP4, audio-video for Macintosh and iTunes users) are available for download from idahoptv.org/dialogue.
- KBSX 91.5 FM audio-only airs in Southwest Idaho. Sundays, at 11:30 a.m. MT.