Governor Smylie seated at historic desk
The Governor’s suite, which includes a ceremonial office and working office for the Governor and offices for support staff, is located in the west wing. In the ceremonial office, note the governor’s desk, which has been used by Idaho governors since 1919. Official portraits of the current governor and first lady grace the walls of the office. In 1911, the Legislature commissioned artist Herbert Collins to paint portraits of Idaho’s territorial and state governors. The original twenty portraits, plus portraits of all governors who have served since 1911, are hung along the walls adjacent to the governor’s suite. As you tour the ceremonial office notice the Corinthian columns and the ornate plaster work that has been restored to its original grandeur.
The second floor also houses offices for the Attorney General on the north side of the building and the Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of State in the east wing. The official copy of the Great Seal of the State of Idaho is kept in the reception area of the Secretary of State’s office.
Official Idaho State Seal
In 1957 the Legislature commissioned Caldwell artist Paul B. Evans to update the state seal. Evans colorized and “streamlined” the seal. He added a border, sharpened some of the details, modified the female figure and modernized the miner’s clothing. His revision of the 1891 design is the official seal used today.
Wollaeger furniture label
The walls on this floor feature Honduran mahogany wood finish and decorative plaster cornices. The original furnishings for the offices, supplied by Wollaeger Manufacturing Company, were constructed of Spanish mahogany – a similar looking but much rarer and expensive wood. Offices had both flat and roll-top desks made with brass bases on the legs and chairs finished to match the desks. Some five hundred pieces of original furniture remain in the building. For the 2009 restoration, furniture throughout the Capitol has been replicated or reproduced in the same style as the original.