IdahoPTV Home > Idaho Experience
Introduction to "Pioneers of the Air"
The country's first commercial airmail delivery took flight in 1926-from a newly created airport where Boise State University stands today. That commercial airmail company was based in Boise and would become part of United Airlines.
Not long after that first airmail flight, hundreds of landing strips were created across the state, making even the most remote wilderness areas accessible to the masses from the air.
There was also a need to create a system of arrows and beacons to help early pilots get where they needed to go. Only a few of those arrows and beacons still exist in Idaho, and some aviation enthusiasts are racing to preserve those bits of history.
IDAHO EXPERIENCE is a new series produced by the award-winning team at Idaho Public Television. We bring to life the stories of the extraordinary people and defining events that have shaped Idaho's past and present.
- Anne Voillequé and Louise Nelson
- Judy and Steve Meyer
- Richard K. and Shirley S. Hemingway Foundation
Produced in Partnership with the Idaho State Historical Society
We Sagebrush Folks: Annie Pike Greenwood's Idaho
- Forgotten Neighbors: Idaho's Chinese Immigrants
- Taking the Reins
- Idaho's Clearwater River Log Drive
- Kinne Kidnapping
- Mount St. Helens Eruption
- Preview of "Taking the Reins"
A Little Las Vegas in North Idaho
- Borah Peak Earthquake
- Idaho's First Potato King
- Idaho's First Serial Killer
- Idaho's Hell's Belle
- Olympic Skier Gretchen Fraser
- Perrine Bridge
- World's First Chairlift
- J.R. Simplot
- Joe Albertson
- From Idaho City To Hong Kong
- Man Who Saved A Town
- Series Overview
- "Pioneers of the Air: Idaho and the Birth of Commercial Aviation," 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2018
Have a question or comment? Email us.
Follow Us on Instagram